Keeping Kids Safe
Commitment to Child Safety
We are committed to ensuing the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people and will endeavour to provide a safe and supportive environment for children and young people by:
- treating our students with respect, understanding and by addressing their concerns as soon they arise
- ensuring that all of our staff and volunteers hold current Blue Cards
- enforcing a strict code of conduct for all of the Speak Up Studio community
- providing clear dispute resolution mechanisms
- making our child and youth risk management strategy available to all members of the Speak Up Studio community
- ensuring that our programs are engaging and age-appropriate for students
- limiting the size of our programs, to ensure that teacher to student ratios are low
- creating an inclusive environment within our studio
- creating a positive and supportive teaching program that encourages the emotional and social development of our students
- providing a high level of ongoing support and training to our teachers
Our Child-Safe Portfolio
Please contact us if you would like a copy of any of the following important policies:
- Code of Conduct
- Handling Disclosures and Suspicions of Harm
- Use of Images of Children Policy
- Blue Card Policy
- Inclusion Policy
- Interactions and Relationships with Children Policy
- Supervision of Children Policy
- Lost Property Policy
- Illness and Injury Policy
- Risk Management Policy
- Strategies for Communication and Support
- Recruitment and Staff Training Policies
- Behaviour Management Policies
Terms and Conditions
Speak Up Studio is a safe environment. Unacceptable behaviour and/or language will not be tolerated. Speak Up Studio reserves the right to refuse any student or parent that presents a disciplinary problem to staff or a threat to the safety and well being of other children or parents. Parents will be advised of problems once, and if unacceptable behaviour continues, the student will be removed from the class with no refund.
Parents Code of Conduct
Parents have the responsibility to:
- not force their child to participate in Speak Up Studio’s programs
- drop off and pick up students in a timely manner
- alert Speak Up Studio of any concerns as soon as they arise
- encourage their child to follow Speak Up Studio’s rules, and to work hard in class
- never ridicule their child for making a mistake
- respect decisions made by Speak Up Studio staff
- take an interest in their child’s learning
- respond to communication from the studio in a timely manner
Parents have the right to:
- receive feedback on a student progress
- ask questions or raise concerns about Speak Up Studio’s programs, or student progress
- have personal information treated confidentially, so that privacy is respected
Student Code of Conduct
Students have the responsibility to:
- demonstrate a willingness to learn and participate in Speak Up Studio’s programs
- control your temper
- treat other students as you would like to be treated
- report inappropriate behaviour, unsafe situations and harm
- participate for your enjoyment, not just to please your parents
Students have the right to:
- feel safe, respected and understood
- be included regardless of abilities
- be listened to and to be able to ask questions if they don’t understand something
- be involved in decisions that affect them
- have their best interests considered
- be free from harassment, bullying or abuse of any kind
Payment, Re-enrolment and Withdrawal
Speak Up has one simple, easy payment method for weekly classes: an all inclusive monthly credit card payment, deducted from a nominated credit card. Enrolment in our classes is by term, and as such, monthly payments may only be cancelled at the end of any school term.
Re-enrolment from term to term and year to year is an automatic procedure. This is done to cut down on repetitive administration each term, and to avoid any misunderstandings that may lead to students missing out on a place in their usual class. Most of our students attend for many years in a row. Many of our classes are full and have waiting lists.
Re-enrolment information will be sent out towards the end of each term. A withdrawal cut off date will be included with this information. If we do not hear from you by the cut off date, we will assume your child will be continuing into the next term, and you will be charged accordingly.
If a student withdraws their enrolment before the end of a term, the full term’s fees will remain payable.
If you have confirmed your child’s participation in a performance opportunity (such as an exam, concert or eisteddfod) you are obligated to continue with monthly payments until the performance is complete. Extensive performance planning is carried out based on confirmed enrolments.
Speak Up Studio may reschedule or cancel classes at any time. If changes are made that affect any participant’s ability to attend classes Speak Up Studio will refund any outstanding fees within 30 days.
Unpaid fees may result in the student being removed from our programs.
Speak Up Studio does not usually offer trial lessons to new students. This is because we do not believe it’s possible for a child to get a full understanding of what our programs are like in just one lesson. Children take time to get used to a new environment and a new teacher and it can take several lessons for them to find their groove! We think it’s important to give them time to settle in so that they can truly receive all the benefits Speech and Drama has to offer.
We are incredibly confident your child will love being a part of Speak Up. That’s why we offer a 100% money back guarantee within your first month of classes. If your child does not love their class, we will gladly refund your first payment. Our money back guarantee ensures that each child is able to settle into their class and get to know their teacher, much more than they could during a single trial lesson.
Please note, if in the very rare instance that a trial lesson is offered, these are offered on an obligation free basis, rather than as a a free class. If the student continues with the program their first class will be included within your monthly payments.
Make Up Lessons
Speak Up is proud to offer a flexible make up policy for missed group classes. We are more than happy for students to attend a make up lesson in an identical class on a different day. It is the responsibility of the parent to identify the alternate class from our timetable (eg. a student who missed an Explorers lesson on Monday, may attend an Explorers lesson on Wednesday instead) and to email the studio to request a make up lesson. Make up lessons are limited to one per student per term.
Make up lessons are not available for missed individual classes or workshops. It is considerate to let the teacher know if your child is unable to attend their individual lesson or workshop.
Payment for workshops is required at the time of enrolling. If payment is not received at the time of enrolling, the enrolment may be cancelled. Workshop bookings are non transferable and non refundable. If the student’s availability changes, it may be possible to switch into a similar workshop on a different day, at the discretion of Speak Up Studio.
If scheduling changes are made that affect any participant’s ability to attend a workshop, Speak Up Studio may offer a place in an alternate workshop, and if an alternate cannot be agreed upon, Speak Up Studio will refund any outstanding fees within 30 days.
Children may be filmed or photographed while participating in classes or studio activities. This material may be published in Speak Up Studio printed publications and online (including on the Speak Up Studio website and Facebook page.) Images may also be supplied to third parties (eg. Local newspapers) for promotional purposes. Speak Up Studio has comprehensive policies on the use of images of children. If you do not wish your child to be filmed or photographed and this media used in publications, you must advise Speak Up Studio in writing.
Late Collection Fees
Our teachers will not leave children unattended, and are paid by the hour. If parents are late to pick up their children after drama class, a late fee (per child) will apply:
- 10 – 15 minutes late: late fee is $10
- 15 – 30 minutes late: late fee is $25
- 31 – 60 minutes late: late fee is $40
- Over 1 hour late: late fee is $50 and student will be removed from the program with no refund.
A non refundable deposit of $50 is payable at the time of booking to confirm your party.
Full payment must be received on or before the day of the party. Payment may be made by bank transfer or credit card – payment details are provided on the invoice.?
A standard birthday party is for no more than 12 children. Additional children cost $20 each. If additional, unexpected children turn up on the day (including siblings of children attending the party) we will not stop them from participating, and an additional invoice will be sent to you. This invoice must be paid within seven days.
If you cancel the party within one weeks of the scheduled party date, the full party fee remains payable. Cancellations outside of the one week period will lose their $50 deposit, but no party fee will be payable. An alternate cancellation policy may be considered in extreme circumstances on an individual basis and at the sole discretion of Speak Up Studio.
As we often photograph our beautiful parties, it is important that parents and caregivers are aware that their children may be filmed or photographed while participating in Speak Up Studio parties. It is the responsibility of the parent or caregiver paying for the party to communicate this to parents or caregivers of children attending the party.